The grinding game

Posted by G1lius On 9/03/2012 01:59:00 PM 0 comments

So,

in order to get myself grinding I made a rule for myself.
No internet stuff unless I'm on a 1000 VPP/day schedule for the month. Which means I should have 3000 vpp's by the end of today (since it's the third of september... that day I'll always remember... Yes I will) and a whopping 30k vpp's by the end of this month. That'll be a personal record I think.
I've got this week off at work, with only 2 days with some scheduled stuff going on, so that makes it a bit more doable.

I've played a small bit of 10/20 this morning, and it felt even higher as usual. Which likely has something to do with adding 2/4 to my play.
It's pretty weird too. If you compare that to NL stakes it's playing 500NL while also playing 100NL.
Must say the difference between 2/4 and 3/6 and up is huge. Depends on what time of the day it is, but there are some extremely soft tables on there. Which needs some adjustments too, I'm not used to playing big multiway pots anymore, I'm likely c-betting a bit too often and overvaluing my hands a bit.

Since that's about all I can say about that, I'll add a small anecdote to lengthen the blog :p

So a couple of weeks ago I broke the screen of my new phone. It's a €550 phone so that kinda sucked. With a bit of research online I found out you can replace the top touchscreen. So I ordered one, trying to repair it at my friends house since I didn't have a heat gun. Anyway, I broke the LCD while trying to get the touch part off which, I found out later, was actually impossible for this specific phone.
Following simplified conversation took place: Well, I guess you'll just have to buy a new phone. No, I can buy the lcd-screen too and replace the whole thing. Well, what if that doesn't work either? THEN I'll buy a new phone. After that he gave me this weird look.
I realized this is the pokermindset that comes into daily life. To me it seems very obvious trying to replace the screen is the most +EV thing to do. Other people however are pretty risk averse, they don't want to take a gamble while they should.
He's a smart guy, so after I fixed my phone and told him it only needed to work like half the time (it was like 40% or something) he got my reasoning. However, when trying to get some idea he asked me about the cost of the LCD screen and the new phone. He also asked me about the prize of the touch-part. I said there was a touch-part attached to the LCD I bought. He insisted on knowing the prize of the touch-part, because in his mind the total prize paid is how you look at the profitability, while for a pokerplayer it's obvious the earlier purchased part has nothing to do with it.

Anyway, that's likely a boring anecdote, but at least it got my blog a bit longer...

Cya

Categories:

0 Responses "The grinding game"