Fun, drinks and science

Posted by G1lius On 6/27/2010 09:53:00 AM 0 comments

So after my tilting about the whole regulation in France, I went to see a movie. The A-team.
Pretty good movie. It's not the best movie of the year, but it's good enough. They really honor the series in my opinion.
Anyway, after that we had a couple of drinks. Too many drinks.
Which basically ended up with me not feeling well during the whole day yesterday. That combined with the hot weather here, making it VERY hot inside, means that I didn't play yesterday either.
It sucks, but I never could've gotten in a lot of time anyway. I lost about an hour of play I guess, because I felt better during the evening. But I've looked at a couple of videos on youtube, and I don't really regret it, giving the nature of the videos.

That's where the science comes in.
I've always been interested in the human psyche, and saw a lot of videos about it. It's strange you can quote whole lines from somebody's speech, but fail to realize it also applies to yourself.
I've been struggling with motivation since forever, and although I've seen the video before, it took me another look before I realized it could also apply to me.
http://www.youtube.com/user/theRSAorg#p/u/0/u6XAPnuFjJc

For the people that don't view the video, the think it boils down to is that you have 3 things that increase performance and give more personal satisfaction.
- Autonomy
- Mastery
- Purpose

And I've thought about them all.
I don't have to report my pokerresults to anybody (except for you guys ;)), so that's a lot of autonomy.
Without a doubt, I got where I am because I got better at it. I learned more and more, mastering the game.
And like I've said in one of my previous blogposts, I like to view the bigger picture. Even beyond going pro.

So I got all incentives, yet I'm not all that motivated.
And I realize now that I should focus on all three things at the same time. If I'm thinking about moving up, I'm thinking about shortterm, I must do this in X time. I lose sense of bigger purpose and autonomy.
Same goes for all the other things.
While it does give me some boost, it's not for long. And it's obvious why. I forget about the other things.

The goal of mastery is also a bit faded. I would've signed for this to be playing the 10/20 games 1.5 year ago. It doesn't have to stop here however.
I never really wanted to be the best, and it's still a long way to go, but why wouldn't I try to reach it? After all, it's not the goal that's important, it's the route you take to get there that is.

Categories:

0 Responses "Fun, drinks and science"