Inside the limit pokerbrain

Posted by G1lius On 6/24/2010 06:28:00 PM 0 comments

Lately I've seen good or decent players make a play that I can't really figure out all that good.
I see some extra value in it, but it's so marginal, and so exploitable on first sight that I really wonder what's the deal about it.

The play goes as following:
they're in position, I'm not (I bet you didn't saw that one coming). I check, Villain bets, I raise, villain 3bets, I call, turn goes check/bet/call, river goes check/check. Villain shows Ax high.
Pretty often it's on lowcard flops, so I guess there's little really strong hands in my range that can really punish him if I have a made hand.
If he folds if I check/raise the turn I can play my draws really aggressive, but if he doesn't I can't really do alot about it. Being more aggressive with my weaker hands is not quite the solution I think. After all, he could have tptk hands and overpairs and sets.
Then again, it's only 0.5BB, and you can get in really though spots if you get raised on the turn, or capped on the flop.
You also might miss the value from missed draws, but often people don't fire the 3rd barrel because it's obv. villain is calling down.
It is a well balanced play. Instead of calling the flop and turn, which makes your hand pretty face up, you disguise your hand a bit more.
It seems like it is in fact a decent play, but it just doesn't feel good to me. It is very exploitable, but only if you know his hand (and everything is exploitable if you know villains hand obv).
I'll give it some thought, might implement it to my game.
I can't really remember the last time I learned a completely new line in pretty standard spots. Maybe this is one of those times. :)

Categories:

0 Responses "Inside the limit pokerbrain"